Take Steps to Find the Best Home Inspector for Your Home
Did you know that anyone can set up shop as a home inspector in the state of California? All they need to do is print cards and advertise. So how do you find a trusted inspector to evaluate your property?
You have several avenues to check the background and reputation of a home inspector before you make a decision.
- Word of mouth – relatives and friends who have bought or sold property
- Review sites – Reviews posted by customers on sites like Yelp and Angie’s List. Be aware that some services pay to have their positive reviews listed first or pay to be listed at all. But, get an overall sense of the service from all the reviews.
- Check the home inspector’s business on Google Maps. Reviews are posted there as well. Check to see that the business is verified.
- Ask your real estate agent – a reliable agent will give you several references. Beware if they give you only one. The agent and the inspector may have a side agreement to make the property seem as good as possible.
- Check for licenses or professional organizations and time in business – One of the best known and oldest organizations is the American Society of Home Inspectors.
- Select 3-5 home inspection services and then call. How they work with you on the phone will be a good indication of your communication throughout the process.
- Ask for a sample Inspection Report. Look for negative findings. A reliable inspector will offer suggested solutions.
- Ask how long a typical inspection takes – a thorough home inspection will usually last a minimum of two hours.
- Schedule your home inspection with the service of your choice.
Inspect.Net Fits Your Needs
California is an unregulated state for home inspectors. Ensure your inspector is qualified as a licensed general contractor (knowledge), engineer or architect (theory), and has a minimum of 5 years experience.